The beautiful tear drop shaped country of Sri Lanka is a favourite travel destination for Indians because of its sandy beaches, scenic landscapes, flavourful food, exotic wildlife and heritage structures. Travellers come in for the never-ending beaches and fall in love with this infinite paradise that offers something for everyone in terms of fun, relaxation and adventure. I spent 7 blissful days holidaying in Sri Lanka, exploring Ella, a hill station and Mirissa, a beach town.
Destination 1: Ella
Upon Arriving, I straight away headed to Ella. It’s a small town located 200 Kms east of Colombo. It is surrounded by hills covered with cloud forests and tea plantations.
How to reach
- If you wish to enjoy the beautiful landscape of tea plantations, train is the best option. One can take a train from the Colombo Train Station. It takes to about 2 – 3 Hours to reach the destination.
- Second option is to take a cab which you directly hire from the Airport. It takes about 3 hours to reach Ella and would cost around INR 5000-6000.
Places to stay
If on a budget trip, stay at Ella Hide View which has amazing views and delicious food. The sunrises are not to be missed here.
Places to Stay
- Café Chill: An absolute must restaurant to go to. As the name implies, it’s a perfect chill place to hang out. The burgers, rice and curry are absolutely lip smacking. Apart from the delicious food, it’s the vibe of the place that really makes the difference.
- Kitchen Garden: Head to this amazing restaurant if you want to have delicious authentic Sri Lankan food. They offer a wide variety of curries and other local dishes.
- Café One Love: You could spend your entire day at this café. They have amazing bean bag chairs and swings. Pick up your favourite drink and enjoy the view.
Things to do
- Little Adams Peak: It’s a beautiful scenic peak and a fairly easy hike. It offers picturesque sunrise views.
- Nine Arch Bridge: It is also known as the Bridge in the sky. The beautiful nine arches makes it a very beautiful spot since it is located in a dense jungle and agricultural setting. The bridge is very close to the main Ella town.
- Ella Town: Roam around Ella Town and shop till you drop.
From Ella, my next stop was Mirissa, a quaint little town on the south coast of Sri Lanka.
How to reach
- The best and fastest way to reach Mirissa from Ella is by taxi which takes approximately 3-4 Hours.
- There are other alternatives to reach the place as well. You could either a train or a bus however it takes around 10 hours to reach.
Places to stay
- If on a budget trip with your friends or travelling solo, stay at Lavender Mirissa which is situated within 400 m of the Mirissa beach. You could hire a bike or cycle (available at the property) to explore the city. This property would cost you roughly around INR 1500/ night.
- For a luxury stay, stay at Saltasia Villas. It is located 750 m from the Mirissa Beach. You can book a sea view villa which will cost around INR 6000/ night.
Places to eat
Zephyr Restaurant & Bar:
- Right on the Mirissa beach front, this restaurant offers a great ambience and delicious food. Do not miss the seafood here.
- Get to know the social scene of Sri Lanka at this perfect party and date location. If you are a die hard party lover, you will definitely want to come back to this place.
Things to do
- Parrot Rock: It’s a small rock on the Mirissa beach, where you can climb up and see a bit of the Mirissa area.
- Coconut Tree Spot: 15 minutes from the Mirissa Beach is a coconut farm on a hilltop. The sunset view from here is worth seeing.
- Whale Watching: Popular for its marine life, Mirissa offers whale watching tours where they take you out into the Indian ocean for a few hours spotting whales, turtles and dolphins
- Day trip to Galle Fort: Built by the Portuguese, Galle Fort is a UNESCO world heritage site. It is famous for its majestic Dutch fort and clock tower.